View Single Post
      08-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

No M1.

I posted this as a reply on another "similar" thread but I want to hear what you guys have to say about it.

This is my opinion:

There will be NO 1-series based M1. Put it this way the 135i comes standard with an M aero-kit (this is the only car where the M aero-kit looks just the same as the one on the actual M cars NO FOGS, all other cars get the one with fogs) it has an M suspension and huge breaks. The car has 300hp and will do 0-60mph in about 5 secs.

Those are the facts so now lets ask some questions. What engine is BMW going to use on the M1 if there is one? The S54 343hp from the E46 M3??? I don't think so its too close to the power output from the N54 twin-turbo. Plus we have all seen what this engine can do with Procede or Xede and BMW knows this!!!!

Okay so now lets say BMW M comes out with a new engine that produces close or equal to 400hp . That would be too close to the M3 and it would hurt the sales on the M3.

They will not use a tweaked version of the N54 because the M Division only develops High Revving Naturally Aspired engines, this is what they are known for!!

Another fact is that there is already an M1! Produced from 1978 and 1981... and something very important: this is the first M car ever created and BMW will not name another one of their cars the same. Unless its a comeback and the car would be a supercar (over $100,000).

The 135i has too many things a usual M-Sport spec doesn't have and this makes it very special, and maybe BMW would have liked naming it the M1 but they couldn't. They couldn't put an LSD ... so they gave us this new electronic differential....The car is Turbo not N/A so it cannot be an full M car.

Probably in the future if the 1-series does very well and the M3 becomes more powerful, I just don't see a 1 -series based M car coming in the next couple of years.

They should have made a 125i with the 218hp I6 engine, a 130i with 27?hp I6 and then an M car with the tweaked S54 from the M3 CSL.

Sorry about the long post but I had to get this out of my head. and dont get me wrong I want a 135i very badly, but i am very sure there will be no M1.
Appreciate 0