ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK135i View Post
Here's an Idea....

We all know that BMW has made the 1 series the main focus of its "Efficient Dynamics" program. In order to really go strong with their increased mileage and cleaner burning technologies, BMW might offer every 1 series exclusively in a clean burning Diesel: a 120d, 123d, and a 135d. The 135d could use the same awesome engine that is in both the 335d and 535d. (which by the way will be introduced to the U.S. soon :headbang: )

Now, what if the M1 is developed with a high performance diesel engine in conjunction with weight saving technologies. Obviously that sounds crazy and out of the ordinary for BMW's M Group to do, but they and all other car companies are racing to quickly come up with ways to improve their fleet's mileage and "green up" their image. Basically, in the years ahead all car companies are dramatically going to change their ways... They'll have no choice.

Having a "greener", high performance diesel M1 might get a lot of people's attention and allow their diesel technology to breakout with a bang!

Just think about the car testers and magazine reviews?

FYI: I think the Audi R8 race car was a twin turbo V10 diesel and it performs like a monster...

Again, this is just an idea... Discuss it amongst yourselves.
Interesting thoughts.

I agree that the automobile manufacturers are going to have to think "outside of the box". Who knows what the future will bring. High performance diesels are already available, just not in the US. Will we see a M diesel? Probably unlikely in the near future, but in 10 years or so it might be possible. There might even be battery or hydrogen powered M cars in the future. It certainly doesn't sound too appealing right now and borders on heresy for many M fanatics, but whether we like it not the world is changing.
Appreciate 0