View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

So, I have a BIG problem with my 1M

I am in the midst of a very big problem. Here's what happened, any input would be greatly appreciated:
Three months ago I had a crash with my baby M. It could've been much worse but luckily I got off relatively unscathed on the whole thing. I hit a rock with my rear right wheel, busted the wheel, tire and part of the suspension. Then I ended up in a ditch on the side on the road with some damage to the front right part of the car but that was about it. It took about 2 months for the parts to get here and then 2 more weeks for the dealer to get it all fixed up and ready.
Now comes the interesting part, the day before they gave it back, the manager of the dealer called me and told me that the water pump had failed when they were testing it and that it would take a couple more days. Then the day before they gave it back, he called me again and told me that there was "a strange sound coming from the engine" and asked me if I had any modifications that could cause this. Here are my mods:
- Akra slip on + Maddad midpipe
- ER Chargepipe
- AFE intake
- I had Evolve R installed before but the car has the stock map on.
- P3Cars Gauge

So I went to pick up my car and the "strange noise" was a horrible whining sound that really scared me when I heard it, my guess was it was the turbos. As I thought, the car had no boost whatsoever and the whining noise was awful. The manager handed me the car as it it was ready to take home except of course for the "strange noise". I took a drive and returned it immediately.
Then the real problem started when they brought the car back in to check it out. They told me that their diagnostics computer could not establish communication with my car and they gave two reasons. First they told me it was because I had probably tuned it and that was why they could not read the computer on my 1M and that would void the warranty on the turbos. I explained to them that the map was stock and told them I that the car was not tuned. Then they saw the P3Cars Gauge and told me that then the problem was probably caused by the person that installed the gauge and that the gauge was interfering with the communication. I explained to them that the gauge only used the OBD port to read info from the computer, and told them that if the gauge was reading the data then why couldn't they communicate with it.
They told me they were going to check it, and told me to give them the stock chargepipe and air filter to swap them them back and try the car again. It stayed there since about december 20th until now.
Today I spoke with them and they said they think the problem if effectively the turbo but that since they cannot communicate with the computer they cannot get a report and process the claim through the warranty. They said that there are 3 channels in the OBD port and that the gauge is probably reading data from the emergency line, but they cannot get the communication going through the other two lines to get the warranty claim.
Does ANYBODY have ANY ideas on what could be going on?! I spoke with Evolve and they told me that there shouldn't be a problem with the communication, even if the had the other map on, but it's stock. Help!