View Single Post
      05-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I do not understand the term "void the warranty". Do you mean they told you that you did a mofication and they will not cover the impact of the modification to the car? Regardless of what you do to your car, the manufacturer has no legal right to change the term of the warranty. If it is 4 years and 60,000 miles, then it stays for this period regardless. But if you put a chip on a turbo motor to increase boost and horsepower and you blow a head gasket, it would be reasonable for the dealer to claim that the added boost caused the blown gasket. But it would be unreasonable for him to claim that the boost caused a switch turning the lights on when you open the door to go bad. If a bearing went out in the transmission, it would be more grey but I would think you could successfully defend the improbability of that damage resulting from the modification.

Dealers can claim anything they want about the status of your warranty but courts do not typically view very favorably an attempt to dis-honor an obligation voluntarily entered into based upon a frivolous claim. On the other hand, the dealer would have a pretty good case if they could relate the damage to something you did.

If your warranty has just expired, then you may be able to get extended coverage somewhere. But those deals are typically pretty bad deals for the car owner.

Jim