View Single Post
      08-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #38
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
I just don't see the appeal of the 128i. Flame me if you will, but my modded GTI is too much fun to ditch for the BMW moniker with no HP, no torque and no M brakes.
For those that want to have the bimmer just for the sake of having it, you can have it. I really see the role only as bait to lure more new customers at a lower price point.
This is not a small car and with the current crop of Hondas, Nissans and the like, the outlined power band is just not competitive. That used Boxster is looking better by the month......
Personally, although I love the MKV Veedubs... I miss RWD.

The GTI (and GLI) have very flexible engines, great interiors, and even a nice dose of character.

But they're overly soft, have terminal understeer when pushed, and no LSD severly limits the power you can really put down while cornering in a (torquey!) FWD car. I like driving mine... But I don't love it. For me, the drive axle is at the core. I cut my teeth on RWD, and it's just so much more rewarding, FOR ME.

The 128 is likely to be slightly quicker than a stock GTI in a straight line, and as long as the MSport suspension is offered... In any of the curvy bits, too. But that's not where it's at, for me; it's the everyday feel, the adjustability, the playfulness of RWD. Within 20-25 minutes of driving the new 3er I was drifting it around corners, just 'cause. Enjoying the feel of separated drive and steer. Enjoying the sound of the sexy inline sixes. Can't get that in my veedub...
Appreciate 0