View Single Post
      12-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z M3 View Post
But I Cancelled my Euro delivery AW 1M order that I made on Jan 3rd 2011 (which I suppose made my order an 'early VIN number'), due in part to the relatively costly BMW finance rates - up here in America's Hat!!

I was also disappointed by the full up/profit gain on the new car deals up here, yet pre owned (with 30k+ kms ) cars are now being sold for well over msrp, so I guess the laugh/irony is on me, not that I'd have ever sold it!

I suppose my 'doubt in exclusivity' was born many years ago, when my old man had the chance to order an Aston Martin DB7 under a similar situation. This was at a time when the potential to inflate resale prices on early delivery exclusive vehicles was infact possible, if still quite rare. I could therefore see mirrors/parallels in the 1M/DB7 situation, limited numbers, strangled supply etc etc. Anyway, long and short my dad didn't go for it - he got an E36 M3 instead so we could actually enjoy the benefits of a performace vehicle as a family. It turned out to be a decent decision as the DB7 got very mediocre reviews in the motoring press (unlike the 1M) and as a consequence: interest, desire and values plumeted!

As a Brit, I was also a bit skeptical that history could repeat itself, based on a situation that happened back in the '90's at Renault. A promise of a limited run number of cars in the form of an F1 raceteam inspired Renault Clio Williams model. However, Renault renegged on their promise and subsequently produced batches of Williams 2 & 3 varients - ultimately exploiting the sales and interest generated!! For owners of the original cars, a promise had been broken and had no doubt left some of them with slight feelings of betrayal!

As such, I didn't bite the bullet on the 1M and have since wondered about how amazing owning and driving this car could have been - not to mention that European delivery, incorporating my old favourite roads in Germany, Italy, France, England and Holland from my motorcycling days! A truly once in a lifetime trip and a chance to relive my European youth, in a car very much designed with the driver at heart!!!

So I bid all of you 'genuinely lucky owners', a fabulous ownership experience and please never lose sight as to how fortunate you are - as the few who chose wisely
With the clusterf#ck of tease marketing and dealer iso customer centric allocation going on in the NA, I can't blame you for being turned off. I would have turned down anything over MSRP and just got lucky on my dealer being BMW owned.

Nevertheless if your really want to go for the fortune that the 1M offers as a car, there are still fair 2nd hand deals to be had. Yet if ED MSRP is your reference, I understand your regrets.

Oh and on the whole 'spiel and dance' around limited editions: Only people with more money than sense truly appreciate those. And companies will abuse the power of suggestion and change their policies knowing they'll get away with it... we'll just have to live with that.

thx for posting! and of course you will get lucky again someday soon.
Appreciate 0