View Single Post
      05-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Review/DIY Cree SMD LED Reverse Lights

I received my Cree SMD LED reverse lights in the mail today, i got them from Ebay seller 909_bmw HERE. They are only listed for 3 series but i talked to the seller and made a deal to test fit them on my 1er to see if they worked and where error free like the 3 series.

First impressions:
The LED's feel and look very solid and not like some cheap China LED's.

Install:
Installation should take you no more than 5 minutes to do both sides, they work and fit perfectly and there are NO ERRORS. But I did notice that upon start up of the car they blink for a couple seconds (like my LED sidemarkers) due to the electrical system doing a bulb check. But this doesn't bother me at all and if you're really bothered by it you could get rid of it by coding out the bulb check.

Looks: They put out a 6K'ish brightness and look REALLY good compared to the stock ugly yellowish bulbs. WELL worth it IMHO

DIY (Pictured is for the driver's side taillight, passenger side will just be the exact opposite):
You first need to remove the tail light cover, which is held in by 4 tabs and easily pops out by pulling.

Next you will need to remove the wiring harness, start off with the connector on the left then the clip on the right holding the harness in place

The clip on the right looks like this (exactly the same as the ones on our cowl under the hood)

Now you need to release the 2 clips holding the panel holding the taillight bulbs

Once removed you will be replacing the bulb on the far right

Cree SMD LED installed (it don't matter which way you install the bulb, works both ways)

Now just replace everything in reverse order and enjoy

VIDEO:

THANKS!

Last edited by BSM 135i; 06-03-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1