View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I swap wheels for autocrossing. So I arrive at an event, swap to the Hoosier A6s, run the event, and then back to streets (yes, I swap twice a day and I ran about 15 events last year). Here's the drill down.

I get some knee pads (Home Depot/Lowes, flooring department, gel padding is best).

I use a good floor jack and jack at the lifting pad at the rear wheels and lift the whole side of the car up. It means I jack the car twice to change all four wheels. I could probably jack from the front, too.

I have a Snap-On 18v ½" drive battery powered impact gun. It gets the bolts off very quickly. I still use the OEM hub-centric setup. Yes, I center the rears since they are locked with the E-brake. The fronts I'm pretty good at lifting them on to the rotors and lining them up. I can usually do all four swaps in about 10 minutes (faster is it's raining). I use to hand thread the bolts to start, but as I became more used to it, I'm good at dropping the bolt on the socket and slow spinning them on. Once I know they are going in straight, I crank up the impact gun and it centers the whell all around.

The Snap-On unit throws plenty of torque, it is very rare that I under torque. I double check after I get the street tires and wheels back on.

Yes, mounting the bolts on the rotors and nuts would be a click easier. But I'm to lazy/cheap to do the swap over.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0