01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
It's my feeling that the M3 and 1M deserve each others' motors.

The 1M has a short wheel base, is light (relative to M3), and has huge torque and turbo lag (minimal - but it exists). This makes for an exciting driver, that is great at stop light jumps, and sideways shananigans - and tons fun on track. However, as Randy Pobst (ducking now) will tell you it makes for a tricky car to drive consistently quickly.

The M3 deserves the torque advantage to aid in low gear acceleration to overcome its extra pork.

The 1M deserves the progressive power delivery and biased towards high revs. This would make it easier to drive the 1M smoothly. The short wheelbase can be pretty easily upset on corner exit w/ the n54, but shift the power up in the band, and give the driver razor sharp throttle control - and the 1M would be fun, fast AND controllable.

I personally would LOVE and s65 in my 1M.
I respect your logic. A lot. It really makes sense when you put it like that and if 1M would come with s65 I doubt I would hate it, even a bit. However, I am not sure if a 335is was a better car than E90 M3 and in fact wouldn't the 1M be just a shorter wheel base M3 and nothing else if we switch the engines?

I think what gives the 1M most of its own character is this massaged N54 and maybe it is not that much of a bad thing that the car is neither super easy to control nor silk smooth. It's all part of what it is.

Let me put it like that. though not a perfect analogy, more or less was like this: when they asked American novelist (best US writer imho) William Faulkner which one of his books he likes most he replies "The Sound and the Fury" and when they ask why that, he says, that's the most flawed one, but also the one that I put most work in it and I love it like a mother loving her crippled child which in turn needs her love more than the others.

All I want to say is maybe it doesn't need to be too perfect.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0