05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post
I drove the Megane RS250 Cup Trophee a few months ago. It was a great drive! It had all of the essentials - nice manual gearbox, firm, communicative steering, a nice power-curve and it handled fantastically. It's not as ridiculous-looking as the previous megane either.

It seems to be getting a good wrap in the car-mags as well...I know Wheels mag loved it...

The tech seems to be a generation behind what BMW and some of the other German and Japanese brands are offering. It has a live trailing-arm rear axle, simple-2.0 turbo, manual only and no nav option etc. It sounds average, but the package is an excellent drive. I didn't mind the interior either. Also, the Recaro CS seats are awesome, no matter what car they are in....

One thing I noticed was that the most expensive version was about $55k on the road. Not too bad for the money.

Ultimately for me, I made the judgement that I'd rather spend the $11k extra on a well-specced 123d coupe (which I'm still waiting for). Better interior, better build quality, more advanced tech, better residuals, plus options I want - such as nav. I'm also a fan of German cars, so the Megane wasn't enough to bring me across to a French brand - it would have to be a pretty amazing car to pull that off!
It's actually quite a bit faster than a Focus RS around a track (which I believe was a Wheels test), which is significantly more expensive, has a lot more power and SUPPOSEDLY more tech.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0