chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Wow!

First, glad to see you back posting again! I thought you were probably just hibernating with the winter there, but you mentioned some other issues in your earlier clutch pedal post that had you wobbly for a bit. Glad that seemed to have worked itself out!

I'm really excited to vicariously tackle this project with you and can't wait to see how it works out. It'll be so nice to have that turbo on the top and easily accessible should anything go wrong... Hopefully the low boost spoolup performance will be comparable to the twins.

Just having turned over 70K miles last week, I'm beginning to think about whether I want to go single or twins in a couple years when the stockers give up the ghost, so your usual superb job of documentation will really help out in that decision.

Love the workspace! Can't wait for more and good luck!

ianc
I was definitely hibernating there for a while for a winter. I still drove the car almost every day, but mods and maintenance were kept to oil changes only. And yes, I had a few months there where I thought I was about to get transferred to another state for work, which I was not interested in. Luckily, I was able to leverage a higher paying job at a better company in the place where I'm already happily living. A real roller coaster there for a bit though.

Glad to hear that you're following along. I was in the same boat about a year ago with mileage and aging turbos. Glad I ultimately decided to ditch the twins and go single. I think I'll be much happier.

Spool on the stock twins in my case was very overrated. With the amount of wastegate rattle I had, the only way to cure it was with the fix through the JB4 or MHD. This in turn makes the car spool noticeably slower than with the fix deactivated. I ran the wastegate rattle algorithm for so long that I got used to the lack of response. I'm interested to see how the ball bearing 6062 spools in comparison to old stock twins with the wastegate rattle software fix activated fully. I bet it's not that far off.
Appreciate 0