View Single Post
      12-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Let's remove the rear bumper cover.

I switched my 128 large butt rear bumper to the 135 cover with diffuser. The kit came from Dan at United completely painted (perfect match) with all necessary hardware.

All screws are 8mm so you will just need a spanner and an extension for some recessed screws. Time to complete was approx. 3 hours.

Start by loosening the felt covers behind the tail lights inside the trunk. No need to remove completely. Lamps are held on with 3 screws. Pull lights out slightly, just enough to access the bumper attachments clips that are underneath the lamps. Remove 4 bolts inside each wheel well, no need to remove tires. Remove about 10 or so bolts underneath bumper. GENTLY pull forward edge of bumper (at wheel well) to pop side attachments. At this point the bumper cover will slide off easily.

Now remove the plastic crush zone attachments at the corner of the car. These look like egg crates in the pics and replace with the new versions. There are small sensor attached to each one with 2 bolts. Remove and transfer to new units.

Install is reverse of removal, as they say. Take your time and you will have no problem. Fit and finish are excellent. I have a small alignment problem just under the trunk lid that I will look at in the morning. It was getting dark.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0