View Single Post
      08-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #65
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
My average of 40 (guess) failed to emphasize the stop-and-go part, which there's plenty of in my "city driving".
The typical "city" driving varies so much from city to city to be able to meaningfully compare. For example, when I drive in downtown Seattle, I'm lucky to be going over 30mph. It's literally 15-20mph max speed, probably averaging under 10mph if you count all the time waiting at stop lights and then waiting for slow/jay-walking pedestrians at the cross walks. And of course each city block downtown is probably half the distance of a block in the suburbs.

Anyway, driving condition matters a lot. When I drove to Portland, easily averaged 29mpg without trying to be economical. Driving during my rush hour commute, I average 19-20mpg since it has some highway driving although it's bumper to bumper stop and go during rush hours maybe half the time. And luckily I don't have to actually drive through downtown Seattle too often.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0