View Single Post
      04-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Jimmy James
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Way - not affiliated with Goauto, I just visit the site!

To be honest I have considered MANY cars over the last 18 months and nothing has made me want to part with my 172. Golf GTi came close but the steering is nowhere near as good. R32 I love and think its a great package. Again the steering isnt up to the little Clio's high standards but it was a front runner because it had 4WD, all the fruit, gorgeous engine note and german build. But the 125i now makes it look hideously overpriced. I liked the idea of a 350z but I cant fit a surfboard in it and think putting racks on one would look lamer than lame! The Evo also appeals as I once had a GSR Lancer, loved it, and always aspired to an Evo someday. I love the look of the new Evo X but I think the price is now a fraction too high - for me 60k is the cutoff for a japanese car and even the base EVO X will be at least 65 on the road.

Anyway, as for the 125i, I can't remember the last time a new BMW with a straight six had a RRP of less than 60k. Its rear wheel drive, I like the looks, the steering should be quality, and I think it may be tuneable down the track, hopefully to 130i levels (195kw).

If I choose not to buy one I will wait for about 18 months (40th birthday) and grab a second hand 135i or move up to one of my two dream cars - either a manual e46 M3 with CSL wheels, exhaust and bootlid or a 996 911 Carrera 4. That will hold me over until later when I scrape together enough pennies for a 997.

To put it bluntly, I'm such a tragic car nut that I just can't decide and want pretty much every decent car I see.

Anyway glad to be on board and I look forward to all of your initial ownership reports.

Cheers
JJ
Appreciate 0