View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hi Guys,

You know there are always people who like to beat up on BMW dealers. Some calling them steal'r instead of a dealer. I just wanted to share an recent experience with you all...

Lat year I bought a second car, a used bmw e39 535iA. It needed some work, most of which I have done myself. But for a "few things" I have let "others" do the repairs.

In the course of which I have gotten to know an indi shop near my house. They seem like nice enough people... they only charge 49 euros per hour. But you know every time they work on my e39 they break something or I have to take the car back for a 2nd attemp/repair. I used to think they were cheaper than paying my local bmw dealer 110 euros per hour for labor. But I was wrong!

It is better to pay more per hour and get the job done RIGHT the first time around. Then having to bring your car back multiple times - $$$.

My case in point is my e39 needed rear ball joints. First I got a quote from the shop that I buy my tires from here in BA. They told me about 400 euros for the parts and labor - no tax.

Then I went to my indi shop that only charges 49 euros per hour. First they said 650 euros. Then they came down to 350 euros - after looking up the parts and labor times in their on-line "book time". But they had never done this job before. And I wasn't keen on paying someone to learn on my car.

A week later I was at my local bmw dealer (Zentrum) and I asked my guys there. It was a pleasant surprise. My guy there said its a super easy job, and I did not even need to do an alignment afterwards - something both other shops wanted to charge me for! Even with paying 110 euros per hour... my price parts and labor and no tax would be 200 euros! Needless to say I had them do the repair!! I had to pay 20 euros extra for a "loaner car" but I did not mind that. They loaned me a 120d e87 6MT. It was a decent car.

When I picked up my e39 the next days, everything went well. The final price was what was promised to me. And best of all nothing was broken on my car - by the mechanic! AND I have a two year guarantee on parts and labor that ANY bmw dealer in Germany will stand behind. I am totally sold on having a pro work on my car.

And of course some pics of my hyper diesel loaner car.

Name:  IMG_0960.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  260.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0956.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0947.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  157.5 KB

pics of my small little bmw dealer from back in the day. This old guy is still the boss!! He drives a M5 and a Z8 and sometimes a new M6.
Name:  IMG_0972.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  141.2 KB

Hering BMW...
Name:  IMG_0973.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0974.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  138.1 KB
Appreciate 0