M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

[QUOTE=Pete_vB;8421671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
As you say we shall see. If they have the budget there are many places they could find that weight that are less obvious.
Lightweight flywheel (also helps with throttle response), lighter seats, higher spec battery (don't need to go lion), exhaust system materials (higher spec materials let you go down in wall thickness- you can save big weight without the expense of Ti or Inconel).
Drive axles can be hollow, driveshaft can be higher spec, suspension subframes can go from steel to alu, windshield glass thickness can be reduced, and on...

Basically every component on the car was designed to a budget, and it can be redesigned to save weight. If you now have a higher budget. So the question is what do they want it to weigh, and what are they willing to spend? Given the rushed development of the car I suspect they didn't know themselves until very recently what the final tradeoffs would look like. I'd be surprised if it's at or less than 3300 myself, but one can hope.
Very good points here. I have not seen an n54 flywheel but these items have practically doubled in weight over the last 30 years ( stock e30m3 flywheel is 18 lbs.. Evo version 12 lbs ). 8-10 lbs here. The C/D article talks about the lighter rear suspension from the M. Lighter wheels and tires can save probably 6-8 lbs per corner. Lighter, Manual seats, and so on. The Cayman R lost 120 lbs (was part of this stereo?) so I think 80 lbs is certainly possible. Interesting that the c/d article shows 3308 lbs. That doesn't appear to be an arbitrary figure. I also like their 43k price. :-).
Appreciate 0