View Single Post
      09-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #38
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I'm personally very fond of the way that those massive mobile vision impediments (4WD's) are subject to a lower rate of import tarrif than cars. So all the ML, LX, Landcruiser, Q7, Hummer owners are getting a tax break.

Nothing quite like a bit of consistence in our policy makers. And, not that I'm a greenie, but it does make a bit of a joke (no, make that a lot of a joke) of all the BS that's flying around about how concerned the current govt is about the environment. Not to mention the $ that's also flying around in the name of envir- friendliness.

Here's a funny one to contemplate ..... a colleague who has a long history in the power industry, and understands carbon footprints much more than I care to imagine, tells me that if you measure the total life-cycle carbon footprint of a Toyota Prius, which includes everytihing from raw material, manufacturing process through to recycling it when it's dead. It's about the same as an SS Commodore. This is becaue after 4 years, the Prius owner has to buy a new battery for about $4K, and the old battery is such an enviro disaster, that it offsets everything else - what a joke!!!!
Appreciate 0