View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #50
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
It sucks that N52 isn't getting the love it deserves.

I am considering emailing Insight Racing for their 128i in the CTSCC series to ask the about what the heck they are doing for power
there's a workshop a couple of hours from where i live (just south of brisbane) (rx automotive) that i've been told has a fairly race prepped 130i... i plan on getting mine serviced there next (as they're obviously the best for the job, as well as apparently being really cheap ^_^) so i plan on asking them a few choice questions on the matter

i assume they've just done basic stuff (I-T-E) and the full range of handling mods... though i'd like to know if/where they got their tune done since there's nowhere to get a decent one oever here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Custom dyno tuning and proper AFRs across the board.

Nor is this unique to my car in any way. 99% of the race prepped M3s are running such a pipe, and all compromise the bottom end.

It's just not as simple as freer flowing = better.
yeah if you have a poor pipe the frequency/speed (and therefore temperature) of the gas could flow badly with that specific pipe/merge at a specific rev rangecausing the gas itself to effectively restrict the exhaust flow.. that's the only other reason there could possibly be, really.

i have heard of that happening with most cars though, as the exhaust travels in pulses, a properly sized and.. well everything, exhaust, will create a slight vacuum in the cylinder chamber allowing that fraction more air to flow in... however the inverse is possible where it pushes some gas back in and hinders everything

i mean, if you have (just for a ridiculous example) 2" pipes out of each exhaust port with minimal bends (say two, one out of the block one to get to the outside of the car) straight all the way back, you'll find increased gains accross the board no doubt

Last edited by flinchy; 05-09-2012 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0