Thread: Dinan tune
View Single Post
      10-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I had the PPK installed before doing the Dinan S2. There's been a lot of back and forth about whether there are any residuals retained from the PPK when the S2 is flashed to the DME. I talked to Dinan directly about this and the answer is no. The PPK gets wiped which based on what I have read and learned about he DME makes total sense. So there is no additive effect with the PPK done first and then the S2 done after.

On the discussion about if there is a significant difference of the S2 over the PPK, I can say unequivocally, yes. Looking at the peak horsepower number is only one aspect of the S2. But the torque bump is another aspect...a very significant aspect. The PPK is rated to bump the N55 an additional 17 ft lbs. Now compare this to the S2 which is rated to bump the torque an additional 101 ft lbs. That is not a small and insignificant increase.

In addition, the area of under the power curve is another aspect of why the S2 is better than the PPK. There's just more power through the rev range. I lived with the PPK for about almost 3 years before doing the S2 tune. The differences are night in day in terms of throttle response and power delivery. As I stated in another write up I did here, the S2 should have been the way the car was delivered from the factory. A comparison I like to make is the S2 in normal driving mode is as good and a bit better than having the PPK with the Sport button active. Activating Sport mode with the S2 takes the car to a whole different level.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43782.50