02-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #69
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i need to get back into another formula car! i miss clutchless up and down with the ford. only used the clutch for standing starts or cooldown laps.
Oh wow, what did you drive? Formula Ford? Did you race...? I really wish I could do more formula car stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
this is the only time i have needed to double clutch as well, since the car will often keep you out of the lower gear if the rev difference is too high. of course, not all tracks will have a turn that requires a shift that skips a gear.

i have had two different sets of advice about very long braking zone into a hairpin, say 4th to 2nd gear. if you do a single downshift, you probably have to double clutch, and if you screw it up, you are more likely to make it a money shift. if you downshift into 3rd and then into 2nd, even the most skilled driver will find it hard to threshold brake and pull both shifts off smoothly and not upset the car.

for myself, i have found it a little more fun and less stressful to shift twice, but i'd love to hear your opinion about this.
About the long braking zone into a slow corner... I disagree, I think a skilled driver can downshift through each gear while threshold braking just fine. They do it all the time:
- just one example. Of course, when looking at on-board data, the affects of downshifting on pedal pressure does show up; but with a really good driver, it's minimal and not an issue. In a street car, a braking zone like what you described lasts a really long time; plenty of time to blip through each gear.

Personally, whether or not I skip gears depends on the car. Whenever I'm driving a car for the first time, I always go down through each gear, just to get familiarized with the gear ratio spreads. It can be a timing thing... sometimes it's easier in your mind to blip into each gear so that you keep track of exactly where the revs are.

Another thing to add about skipping gears: It requires a bigger blip, which means you have to roll your foot over more, which means more of an upset on brake pedal pressure. It's a tough call, for sure.
Appreciate 0