View Single Post
      02-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #82
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
i hear what you are saying, but the analogy is more like practicing shooting on a city sidewalk vs. an enclosed firing range.

the whole point of heel-toeing is so that you are in gear, revs in the fat part of the torque curve, and foot on the gas by the apex. this requires an absolute certainty that one will not have to stop at the turn, which doesn't really apply to regular roads.
: your logic eludes me, but i assure you, it's critical that you learn heel-toe on your own prior to trying it on a racetrack. obviously dont try it in Times Square at 6pm on a Wednesday.

i've been heel-toe downshifting regularly during my daily commute for the better part of a decade (i'm sure there are others here who have been doing so 5 times as long as me), and have yet to experience the phenomenon you're describing. i can even heel-toe smoothly from 2nd to 1st under ~10mph (as, i'm sure, most experienced heel-toe-ers can), so i don't see any truth in your statement about being in the "fat part of the torque curve".

heel-toe allows you to be using the brake while shifting... if you're NOT using heel-toe (rather you're rev-matching your downshift or executing a "granny clutch drag"), how are you better prepared to make this unexpected stop you speak of?

simply put... "what?"

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 02-25-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0