02-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #83
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
simply put... "what?"
i don't want to distract from the info in this thread...

i have always driven a stick, and have brought heel-toeing into my skill set about three years ago. when i practiced doing this around town, it was not difficult at all-- the pedal travel while braking in daily driving is shallow enough that blipping was very easy- just a lateral pressure on the foot to tag the gas a little.

on track, where the brake pedal travels deeper than the level of the gas pedal while braking, this didn't work-- i couldn't "reach" back to the gas with the lateral foot, and was frustrated until i learned to move the right leg significantly toward the left. this allows for me to straddle both pedals with the right foot, but be able to brake deeply without hitting the gas until i rotate the right leg to the right again.

these sorts of things are second nature to the experienced driver. my comments are directed toward people who are learning to do this newly, as someone who learned it not so long ago. i personally didn't find that the "casual" heel-toeing around town really helped me do it on the track. in fact, i think that the casual practice misled me a little as to what would be necessary at track speeds.

as for learning track techniques on regular roads, what i am saying is that no one should try to replicate a track-like brake/shift/turn at anything near track speed or intensity while on a public road.

Appreciate 0