EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z M3 View Post
But I Cancelled my Euro delivery AW 1M order that I made on Jan 3rd 2011 (which I suppose made my order an 'early VIN number'), due in part to the relatively costly BMW finance rates - up here in America's Hat!!

I was also disappointed by the full up/profit gain on the new car deals up here, yet pre owned (with 30k+ kms ) cars are now being sold for well over msrp, so I guess the laugh/irony is on me, not that I'd have ever sold it!

I suppose my 'doubt in exclusivity' was born many years ago, when my old man had the chance to order an Aston Martin DB7 under a similar situation. This was at a time when the potential to inflate resale prices on early delivery exclusive vehicles was infact possible, if still quite rare. I could therefore see mirrors/parallels in the 1M/DB7 situation, limited numbers, strangled supply etc etc. Anyway, long and short my dad didn't go for it - he got an E36 M3 instead so we could actually enjoy the benefits of a performace vehicle as a family. It turned out to be a decent decision as the DB7 got very mediocre reviews in the motoring press (unlike the 1M) and as a consequence:
interest, desire and values plumeted!

As a Brit, I was also a bit skeptical that history could repeat itself, based on a situation that happened back in the '90's at Renault. A promise of a limited run number of cars in the form of an F1 raceteam inspired Renault Clio Williams model. However, Renault renegged on their promise and subsequently produced batches of Williams 2 & 3 varients - ultimately exploiting the sales and interest generated!! For owners of the original cars, a promise had been broken and had no doubt left some of them with slight feelings of betrayal!

As such, I didn't bite the bullet on the 1M and have since wondered about how amazing owning and driving this car could have been - not to mention that European delivery incorporating Germany, Italy, France, England and Holland once in a lifetime trip!!!

So I bid all of you 'genuinely lucky owners', a fabulous ownership experience and please never lose sight as to how fortunate you are as the few who chose wisely
tough story; there will be more in the BMW line to feast on
Appreciate 0