European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow V-Max...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I had my car out on a track recently...

In any regards, does anyone know how fast the auto trans and rear diff are geared to run? I was shocked that I easily blew past 160 in 5th and still had a whole other gear to go!

Just fueling my curiosity, maybe I should sign up for a standing mile run!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but 6th gear isn't really a gear for putting power down. Maybe it is a necessity in your case since you would like to see the top speed of the vehicle, but not normally. 6th gear is an overdrive gear, much like every other car geared for road use, and that means its gear ratio is less than 1, so the power/torque output to the driveshaft is greatly reduced, as power delivery is not what it is meant for. I'm not even sure what could happen if someone were to put full throttle tuned power down in 6th gear. I am not sure, but in my head I think it would cause the engine and transmission heightened levels of stress since all that power is bottlenecked at the transmission and you wouldn't get much speed out of it.

First thing rhodesman the speedo does not report actual vehicle speed(unless you have it coded). The speedo reports a higher speed than actual.

Second... IF your car doesn't have M-sport(which included option #840, speed sync) your car will be limited to 210 kph(or 135 mph). So sounds like your car has M-sport(seats & wheels?) which means you HAVE option #840 and your electronic speed limit is set to 250 kph(or 150 mph).

Now with that all said... the bellow pic I took of my US spec, M-sport 135i(6 speed manual trans) when it was new and all stock. Even though the speed shows 155 mph... my GPS showed that I was only traveling at 240 kph.

For me it doesn't matter IF I am in 5th gear or 6th. Most of the times I just leave the car in 6th and FLOOR IT! That means typically I will be driving as slow at 80 or 100 kph in traffic on the Autobahn... and then let the car rip up to V-Max. In 5th gear you will run out of revs, so V-Max is achieved in 6th for me.

On my e39 535iA (3.5 liter V8, 5 speed ZF Auto) it will hold 4th gear until 240 kph and THEN it upshifts into 5th gear! I love that!! The highest speed I have seen with my old e39 is 256 kph(GPS). It has 437K kms on it too and doesn't burn any oil. Leaks it yes, but doesn't burn it.

What's my V-Max? Well.. my car has a flash tune with 380 PS and 520Nm. The fastest I have seen on my same GPS is 285 kph. Thats about 6,400 rpms. But I know I've seen a few runs with me touching 6,600 rpms. I have no idea HOW FAST that is... but I suspect its around 295 kph.

I have a few friends who also have tuned 135i's and they have also reported seeing 295ish out of their cars. So I think that is a legit V-Max. One of these days I will record it with a GoPro.

Dackel

PS: for more info on option #840...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=2

Name:  IMG_0174-1.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  74.8 KB
Appreciate 0