06-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #111
AlexR6
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
Continuing on with the weight reduction, I've done a little more figuring out about how one could get lower.

As posted above, I'm at 2960 now.

Here's what's too heavy that could be reduced further:

1. Front rotors. I know that we can get a 300mm two-piece rotor to drop 5lbs a corner or so up front of rotating, unsprung mass. Just have to get someone to make it. Working on this now. There's 2950.

2. Aluminum calipers. They weigh 2.3lbs less a piece than the OE calipers, and are very cheap (I got mine for $70 for the pair). 2945.

3. Xenons and Premium Sound add 20lbs to my car. 2925 there.

4. Battery. I have a heavy 21lb battery. 15lbs is doable, but it'd be really neat to get one of those 5lb Shorais confirmed to work with our charging systems. That'd be 2910.

5. Seats. I know I'm over 25 now, and will probably be more so when I swap in Sparcos this week, but that will pretty assuredly make it so if you did the right stuff with bracketry, you could get the car under 2900.

I actually don't think I'll save much on an exhaust that'll pass sound over what I've got now, so that'll be exclusively for power. Trying to think about anything else I could do, mostly as a thought experiment.

After radically dropping rebound all around (the upper 50% of JRZ settings are completely useless in any scenario I could ever think of), and increasing front compression, my car now sweeps and transitions much better at the two lots I've tested it on, while maintaining excellent power down. It'll be *better* than it was in Wilmington this weekend in Toledo, hopefully it's as good as it was this weekend.
Rear seats delete? Almost a 45 lbs saving!
Appreciate 0