Thread: DCT Oil Leak?
View Single Post
      02-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

I have the DCT, and I have experienced oil leaking from the cover on the pax side of the unit. If you have a leak here, the transmission has to be removed to replace a couple of dollars gasket. This may also be true for the mechatronic seal. In any case, this was a 9 hour job done under warranty. I'd hate to get the bill for this without a warranty. In fact, this was the main reason I got the extended warranty.

The DCT isn't reparable at least by a BMW dealer. The unit has to be replaced, price $10K and ordered from the homeland. I exercise gentle treatment of the unit.

I change the engine oil once a year, and at the same time, I remove the cover and examine the DCT for leaks. So far so good. I also check the engine's pan for leaks at the same time.

Don't believe BMW's propaganda about a Lifetime fill. Pentosin, the maker of the DCT's oil, recommends doing a flush and changing the fluid in it around 50K. It also involves changing two filters. One in the pan and one on the driver's side. This isn't a simple drain & fill, since the oil level has to be checked at a certain temperature, 40C. Problem is I don't know who can do it! BMW won't.

So in short, treat it with the utmost respect, or suffer the consequences!
Appreciate 0