View Single Post
      12-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Switching from RFTs to Summer Performance, how much difference will I feel?

When I got my 1er, it had relatively bald stock RFTs on it. I then proceeded to tune it with a JB4 and learned to be somewhat afraid of the car overall because when the back end gets loose, instead of being smooth and controllable, it can do so rather violently. I get the pleasure of driving RWD V8 pickup trucks in my line of work, and by comparison, even in heavy rain, you could mash the throttle and the slide will be easily controllable with appropriate countersteer. My experience with the 1er on stock RFTs is very different. When this summer season comes I am going to scrap the idea of RFTs and go pure summer performance tires, and I hope this will in itself fix the issue I was having.

I'm currently running a JB4 map 5 w/16lb of boost on 93RM2, AA DP + Exhaust, and I plan on doing a DCI and FMIC in the summer. My question is, after the tire install, should I retain what I've learned about how to drive the 1er and still be afraid of mashing the throttle because the 1er just has a naturally light back end, or is that just a trait of mostly bald stock RFTs?