JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
i
whatever my next car is, will prolly be around for 7 or so years. i will prolly put 125,000 miles on it...relaibility then comes into play...yadda yadda..sorry to bore people.

did anyone else make them self sick over this decision? i am 24 and dont have tons at my disposal. i am not saying i cannot afford this, but i am in no postion like some more well established people to own 3 or 4 cars or buy thi today then a M3 tom...

i am one sick puppy
i hate this.
Welcome to the world of the car guy. It's a tough one.

Your choice, however, is simple. If you can afford it, get the BMW. It will be as reliable as the other two, and it will be similar in fuel consumption. But it will have something the other two will never have: soul.

On paper, both the TL and the G35 do things better than the 3. But that's on paper. Reality is a MUCH different matter. And cars drive a lot differently in reality than they do on paper. If you can drive all three cars and honestly say you do not see why the BMW is the right choice, buy one of the others: you will save your money, and regret nothing. But if you enjoy driving even a smidge, you will see that the Japano-boxes are brilliantly engineered cars that do EXACTLY what they are supposed to, but with a precision that takes all of the fun out of driving. This is because the Japanese are great at making car parts, but the Germans are great at making whole cars.

The amount of R&D that the Germans put into making the drive work as an entity is incredible; they actually spend a lot of time dialling in driving feel. The Japanese spend their time looking for comfort, reliability and getting the most out of each tiny bit of displacement. In the end they succeed, but at the cost of how it all comes together. I find that Japanese cars simply lack a unified feeling. It is almost as clear to me as the difference between driving an automatic and a manual. The TL delivers power, but without a sense that you're getting any. The G35 can go fast, but doesn't give you the handling feedback you really need. At the end of the day, if you take a long drive in each car, I think you'll find that the 3 is the one you most want to drive again and again. It simply FEELS better than either of the others. And that is what is important... not what is on paper.
Appreciate 0