View Single Post
      08-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
Does anyone know if a 9" wide wheel will fit in the front of a 135? I have a set of 18x8 40mm offset OZ ultraleggara wheels for track use for my E46M3 that i am wondering if they will fit a 135.

We test fit a set of 18x9" (ET41 D-Force LTW5) onto a customers 135i recently. Seemed to work fine to me... :iono:

Any car this heavy needs as much tire as you can possibly stuff underneath it. The rear can handle more than a 9", but then you're going back to a staggered set-up which means more understeer. BMWs work best with the same wheel/tire widths front and rear. The 18x9 wheel on the back of this car would have worked better with more backspacing, pushing the wheel inboard more. From my testing, I think an 18x9 ET45 to ET48 offset would be ideal out back (and the same set-up with a 10mm spacer up front would make tire rotations easy).

An 8" wheel should fit with ease. That's still too narrow, but it would work. Anything to get the boat anchor factory wheels + run flat tires off these cars is a good thing.

48.3 pounds for the OEM front wheel + a replacement tire, and that's not even a run flat (which are even heavier, and ride/handle worse). That is abysmal for such a skinny wheel and tire. Those brakes are also MASSIVELY heavy. Its no wonder why these cars push 3450 pounds... but it can be fixed.
Appreciate 0