01-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #20
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
greats post(s) d3syd. All absolutely correct. Cop car mounted devices are K-band, which is also what many servo's and other places that have automatic doors are. If the cops are driving around with their radar on, the detector will find them but only on the same street, it's not like it'll find the cop if they are within a block or two 360 degrees from your position. If they are driving with it off, it's not til they flick it on and blast you with it that the detector will find it. By then it's too late.

Same thing for laser. Unlike a mutlinova which emits Ka band all the time (ie constantly monitoring all vehicles on road), the laser is a point and shoot, burst signal. My detector picked up a laser signal the other day from over 500m away. I wasn't speeding and the first time it went off (it fired twice, in quick sucession), it may have been picking up the laser burst when they aimed at the car in front but i'm not sure. Either way, had I been speeding, I would have been a goner.

Detectors are certainly not an excuse to speed. I see the value in mine more for multinovas and saving me from numerous 5-10km/h fines which tends to be where I sit*.

RDD's are also very real and whilst detectors are legal in WA so I don't have to worry, it is piece of mind to know that my detector, the Bel STi is currently undetectable, but for how long is the question...

*disclaimer: I never sit 5-10km/h officer, I always do the speed limit and never exceed it.