09-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim@Oz View Post
Hi Readers.

I have a BMW 118i Auto (2005), which has done 133,000km and now I an getting some issues and looking for answers....

1. The Auto Transmission is thumping when getting into 1st gerat from rest...I was reading that resetting the ECU may resolve this issue......has any one experienced this problem, and can resetting the ECU fix this issue. Also, how do i rest the ECU?

2. The brake light do not light up ...the globes are fine...is there a circut fault or some ICU needs replacing?

3. There is some oil leek... does anyone else have experienced this....can I add those oil leek fluids to cap the leek, which one is recomended?

cheers.
1) Firstly i would look to reset the adaptations and then set the teach in feature again and see how that goes and also look at the history of the software to see if it has the latest updates. Upgrade the software if required. Secondly the valve body gets sticky pistons and would need to be removed to test out on the bench to see if that requires replacing. Thirdly if that fails and the thump has been going for a while, there is a fair chance the clutch packs are worn and the trans requires rebuilding or replacing.
2)The brake lights could be a stop light switch
3)These engines are prone to leaky vac pumps at the rear of the cylinder head, i have a repair kit for these now and the cam cover gaskets leak like crazy as well. If it has suddenly developed heaps of leaks, like the sump and cam sensors as well as the above, and everything has started leaking, then i would recommend changing the PCV valve and the hoses as the crank case over pressurizes and causes the failure of the seals.
Appreciate 0