View Single Post
      12-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Yes, took tire temps across the tread. Nice and linear. Played with tire pressures. Suspension not bottoming out. But let's face it, I'm no suspension pro. I just know that my 135i with similar suspension components and settings, with a square setup, was more neutral. And even if I was willing to spend the time to make a staggered setup work, with lots of testing, trying different anti roll bars, spring rates, pressure, track, weight distribution (via ride height adjustments), etc., I would still need to deal with different tire and wheels sizes.

So I am at a cross-roads. I've not spent any real money trying to make my staggered setup work better. Just suspension adjustments and air and my time. Before I spend real money to maximize on-track performance, while still keeping it a daily driver, am I better off trying to make a staggered setup work, or a square setup? I read somewhere that a basic rule of thumb is to have your tire patch ratio about the same as your cars weight distribution. Since the 1M is almost 50/50, that would beg for a square setup.
What we have always done with these late model forced induction BMW's is to put the largest possible tire under each wheel well. The rear needs as much tire as the front to get the power down to the ground, otherwise it's just a fun drift car.

During initial road testing and autocross our 1M exhibits minimum understeer from a sport street alignment settings(-2 camber and 1/16" of toe in), with more camber and zero toe the understeer will sure go away. However, we found more tire/traction is needed for the rear, as getting the GIAC/AFE/ER/Berk/Borla power to the ground was a major issue. We will perform tracking testing as soon as time allows. We will also be testing the 1M with a set of Hoosier R6's(275 front and 295 rears).

Let me know if I can help.
Appreciate 0