View Single Post
      11-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

The HPFP is now warrantied until 10 years or 120K miles and this extension is transferable to subsequent owners.

Unfortunately, it's just the pumps -- the warranty on the other fuel system components affected by the N54 recall have not been extended. Ideally you would have receipts (records can be accessed by BMW with vin) to verify you have the latest injectors, ignition coils, etc.

If you are north of Boston, I would check out Schneller or Turner. I had a pre-purchase inspection done at Schneller a few years ago for an E46 Touring I bought and it was worth the ~$250 (and this car had all records since new).

I think you'll get different opinions depending on who you ask. Mike Miller (techtalk@roundel.org) of Roundel/Bimmer magazines is relatively negative about owning newer BMWs off warranty, and especially pessimistic about the problematic N54. He's probably represents one extreme, but I'm sure there are many others on here (like Rachel) that have not had any significant issues running many miles post warranty.

Right now I'm somewhere in the middle. My '09 has 11K miles and I bought it earlier this year with 4K miles (and exceptional care/service). I've had three problems with the car misfiring bad and throwing codes (CEL) that required me to take it to the dealer immediately. Each time the diagnosis was different, but ultimately BMW NA approved all new injectors, even though I had the latest part number injectors. Hopefully that cures the problem.

So my long term view on the N54 is wait and see. As I approach 50K (or 2013, whatever comes first), I'll make a decision (keep it, purchase extended warranty, sell it).

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0