View Single Post
      07-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Yes, I believe so. The though crossed my mind to tweak the signal. One of the other teams we're close with, Road Race Engineering, their electrical guru was there and had all the diodes etc, to do it. However, without an oil temp gauge to monitor what real temps would be, we would be taking a big risk in killing the motor. When the oil temps start to climb, they climb fast and we're sure that unchecked, the oil temps could rise to 300 degrees.

Oil hahaaha. I forgot about this story. So at the track we changed to a thicker oil 20w50. This help a little bit as it would fight off heat a little longer. Well I was not anticipating an oil change since I did so the night before so I did not bring a pan. I sent the girls off to Pep Boys to get oil and pan. They come back and I start changing the oil. Oil coming out onto the pan (they got the pan that is also a container) and I see a puddle off the side. WTF. The oil is hitting the pan straight on. I look #@$@!!! JUST MY *BEEP*ing weekend. There's a HOLE on the side of the pan! Of all the pans to get, I get this one!!!! So we have a big Exxon Valdez spill on the floor of the nice pit. I'm covered in oil and for the first time working on cars (10+ years) I eat oil (tastes like crisco). So I went the rest of the day as well as night (at the shop) covered in motor oil. Not pleasant at all. I was nicely moisturized though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Can the oil temp signal be "tweaked"? I doubt warranty is an issue with this car. 255 F, while higher than I'd like to see for the ludicrous 16K oil change intervals, really isn't that high for synthetic oil. I suspect most owners who put their cars on the track change it more frequently than that anyway.
Appreciate 0