12-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #173
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
Does a "real" cat back system include downpipes?

I know we have downpipes, midpipes and axleback. Most of these websites that are selling the exhaust aren't very specific in what you are getting. I know the downpipe is considered a serious modification for a turbo car, and im trying to stay away from that to hold onto my warranty. So my only options are midpipes + axleback or just axleback.
No, the Cat-back starts at the back of the downpipes.
the "cat" in cat-back stands for Catalytic converters if that helps. This system can also be referred to as a "down-pipe back" when in use on a turbo car.

a system that includes the downpipes will be called a "turbo back" as it starts at the back of the turbo and replaces everything after it. The turbo back will give you the best gains overall. However, you will be messing with emission controls if you go that route.

the "Cat-back/down-pipe back" for your N55 powered car will not mess with any emission controls (you're lucky as the n54 would)

so in order of best gains;
1, turbo back (will void warranty if part is found to be cause of a problem)

2, cat-back/down-pipe back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

3, axle back (not likely to void warranty, but some dealers are ass holes, if so, be prepared to fight, though this is rare that they are like that.)

and yes, a "real" cat-back/down-pipe back will be your mid pipes and axle back replaced

It sounds like what you are looking for, for your car, is a cat-back/down-pipe back system as it will yield the most power and likely better sound without drastically changing anything that might void warranty.

Last edited by The1; 12-03-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0