View Single Post
      01-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

All good points BMW86. Speed restrictions are even more strictly enforced in the state of Victoria where exceeding the limit by as little as 3km/hr will result in a fine (if you're caught). It is a totally ludicrous situation, but it's a massive fund raiser for the state governments, and they're "seen to be doing something" about road safety in lieu of spending money on much-needed road infrastructure!

Meanwhile, the national crash-rates have remained virtually unchanged in the last decade. Fatality rates have dropped slightly, but nowhere near the targets that were set in the late 1990s. The 10-year national road safety plan is almost complete, and I bloody well hope that the current focus is given some serious reconsideration for the next round. Clearly, it's not working.

So how do we survive? Track days are increasingly popular. And there's still plenty of quiet backroads that can be enjoyed without speeding excessively.