02-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
If you're going to be doing 5-7 DE weekends a year you really need to get some camber plates. They will pay for themselves pretty quickly in reduced front tire wear. The more you go to the track and the faster you become the quicker you will wear out the front tires on stock setup. Its not unheard of to chunk a brand new set of front tires on a stock setup. If money is a constraint then get the camber plates and then whatever tires you can afford.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about wet weather performance. If it rains leave the traction control on and drive cautiously. It rains down here so seldomly it's really not that big a deal.

I currently have been to the following events on my most recent set of tires.. all these events on a single set of Hankook RS-3, 265/35/18... 18 x 10 Arc-8 wheels.

Heartland park DE and Autocross at Flat Out - June 26-28, 2012
BMW CCA Autocross July and August - TMS
DE at Hallet
BMW CCA Autocross September - Mineral Wells
DE and Autocross at Mid Ohio ofest - (3 days on track)
BMW CCA Autocross October - TMS
DE at Motorsports Ranch Cresson
BMW CCA autocross November
Member Day at ECR - (double duty count as 2 days)
DE at Texas World Speedway - Double Duty - December 2012
DE at Texas world Speedway - January 2013

approx 1200 street miles to and from the autocrosses and TWS

Prior to the DE at TWS in January they had 4-6 mm of tread depth.
Currently, my tires look to have about 35-40% left

so that's about 8 or so DE weekends plus about the same # of autocrosses including some VERY abusive pavement at Mineral Wells. but I have been able to rotate them all along and I am also running a square set up which also helps maximize tire life.

What do I think of the RS-3? they've been awesome...
What do I think of my camber plates?? BEST 1M (track) MOD.. Period.

Like robert said.. the camber plates will SAVE your tires and really allow you to extend the tire budget. if you can ONLY afford tires now... then no problem taking a flyer on the Federals... you likely will tear them up fairly quickly without camber plates, and the staggerred setup doesnt help either So you likely won't have the federals for anywhere near the life that i have gotten.. I would be surprised to see you make it a full season.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-19-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0