01-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
My current Golf R gets 50c oil temperature in about 10 minutes of driving, nearly 20 mins in and it reaches 87-90c.

If i am not in a hurry i take a slightly longer route to my destination, even when my mother came to visit me she asked me why am i taking the longer route.

"i want to properly warm up the engine" i said, and she just smiled.

95% of the time i have to drive through the city to get to my destination, or even to get to the autobahn, shifting at no more than 2,200 rpm barely touching the throttle etc. Once i see 50c on the oil, i slowly start shifting below 3,000 rpm (still babying the throttle).

When i am in a hurry, i shift faster but always keep the rpms to my liking.

The car uses 5w30 so it is thinner than the 0w40 once 50c is reached. the 1 series gauges starts at 70c mine starts at 50c. The R does have 1 external oil cooler but it is a 2018 model so maybe they have installed a higher thermostat to allow the oil to heat up asap.
Zombie Head, welcome. Nice to see someone with mechanical empathy that takes care of their machine. I'm very similar and take care of my machine too. We just traded in our MkV GTI or a MK7. in the US, the proletariat model (non R) GTI uses 5W-40. I find it interesting that your higher performance model runs 5W-30.

Also, what makes yours a Mk 7.5? Is that because it's a facelifted Mk7? Is that an official designation or yours? If so that would make my 2017 at 7.0...correct?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0