01-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #56
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Is there any risk to driving for a couple days without a charge pipe / with one that failed. I know the car will be in limp mode and will not have any boost, but just curious if/when this thing goes if it is pull over immediately and have it towed issue or finish your ride to work in the AM, drive it home from wherever you are and order the part kind of issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Stop engine immediately and get towed.

Stop and get towed is certainly wonderful advice, although perhaps not practical in some instances.

Josh, I had my charge pipe fail about 75 miles from home on one occasion, and I have had a friend that had his fail at a track around 3 hours (18-200 miles from home). In each instances we were able to start the car up and drive home. If you stay out of the throttle and accelerate mildly then you should be able to even complete the full trip without the Check engine light glowing..

Is there a POSSIBILITY you could get some debris in the intake? Sure.. just make sure no wrenches are under the hood..
Seriously though.. the potential for damage is extremely LOW unless you are driving through a field of hay or driving across a beach.

I've seen guys put their car on a Dyno machine and remove the air filter for a couple of full on pulls.. And then drive their car for years later.

I would NOT recommend limping the car around indefinitely, or COMMUTING ON A DAILY BASIS . but I would ABSOLUTELY say one can and should continue their trip home. .. I certainly have twice and would do it again.

Basically I would assess this risk as the same as turning on the car to find it a quart low. again.. Stop and get a tow is certainly an option.. but I certainly wouldn't have a problem starting my own car up and driving to autozone for a quart of oil and then add it.
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50