12-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allencic View Post
The use of the word "precious" seems to apply perfectly. Check your dictionary. One definition is, "very fastidious, overrefined,or affected as in language, behavior, etc." Now check out affected or affectation, "artificial behavior meant to impress others, mannerism for effect."

I think it's not insignificant that nowhere in the owner's manuals supplied with your cars does BMW AG used terms to identify the car such as E82, E88, N35, etc. They simply call them by their proper names, such as 128i coupe, 135i convertible, etc.

Of course I couldn't care less what you call your cars and the designation has nothing to do with being knowledgeable or an enthusiast.

It seems the idea is "to impress rather than inform". Or put more simply, using E82 is merely "precious".

The owners manual is geared more towards your typical owner versus the enthusiasts that typically populate these boards, no point in using the internal chassis codes in the included manual as the typical owner likely couldn't care less about such information, assuming they even bother with reading the manual at all.

edit : damnit MPBK beat me to the punch -.-

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0