Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Windshield replacement nightmare --- UPDATE and question

Went to a local shop with great reviews to get my cracked windshield replaced. The tech damaged the dash when scraping off higher broken remnants of the old windshield along the bottom. The told me about it and indicated they will have BMW do all the repair work, which will require a complete new dash (it is one piece) with instrument cluster, HVAC vents and Nav screen moved over.

As soon as I pulled out of the lot, the steering wheel felt wrong in my left hand when I slid it down the left side of the wheel. I looked to see if there was dirt or glue, and discovered an area of stress wrinkles and cracks about the size of a man's hand. I went immediately back and the techs tried to say that it looked weather-beaten.

Fortunately the manager understood my theory of how it happened: the tech looked to weigh about 350-400lb. He probably used the steering wheel to support the immense weight of his upper body when leaning over to reach the middle of the car to clean the old glass and glue off. He didn't have the same way to support himself on the passenger side, which happens to be where he slipped and damaged the dash.

Fat bastard.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.

Last edited by CarJunkie; 01-18-2022 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
ayao643.00
N55135i269.00