06-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
As a resident of Arizona, where the average highway speed is 85 and rocks are thrown all over the place, windshields are replaced often. No glass replacement place is "always OEM." Maybe if you're paying out of your own pocket it is. Or if you pay the difference. The 1M is an exception because the car was made in such few numbers no aftermarket company has glass for it so they have to use OEM. On my Lexus it's always "OEM Equivalent." Hell, the 1M is the only car I've ever had that has had OEM glass covered by insurance at 100% (which is an AZ law - insurance companies must cover 100% of the repair).
Whether or not a dealer (probably any good dealer of any brand of car) actually does the repair, I'd expect that if you took the car to them that OEM glass would get used in the repair.

I can't speak for what you would experience with all the after market repair companies, but I do know that with Safelite they at least state that if you insist on OEM glass that they will use it. Presumably this would cost more in most places with most insurance companies.

I think that I may have had a windshield replacement on a Subaru once, that was done by Safelite. I traded the car in shortly after that repair and it was years ago and I don't remember anything about the experience.

My other windshield replacements have been more recent and have been done by the BMW dealer in house, and they did use OEM glass.

There are probably a number of other relatively limited production cars out there where only OEM glass is available, perhaps including a Z3M or Z3 Coupe, Porsche Turbos, etc.