03-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviled View Post
Sorry, it took me a while to reply. I have been busy and I only drive 7 miles to work. It has been getting warmer here but I heard the noise this morning, and always when it's cold. It sounds like a window is open a bit, and corresponds with rpm but with a kind of random up and down tone, but if I'm paranoid, it sounds like a spun Bering. the noise goes away when the engine temps come up. The shifter feels fine, great actually. I don't recall the numbers, but I used the recommended redline oils for a manual trans. Also, my valve ticking seems to have quieted today with the warmer oat. I think I am going to replace the oil again with the standard BMW stuff and watch them this time.

I forgot to post this a few days ago... Normally when the you have a bad gear or transmission... you will get gear noise only at part throttle. IF you apply power it will go away. Because the gear's bearings are under load. When there is little power - like cruising - that is when you will hear a noisey (worn out) trans.

Also... gear noise from the diff... is different in that it is speed dependent. You will also only hear it while cruising at a steady speed. Apply some power and the noise will generally go away. Until the internal wear becomes so great it will just make noise ALL the time.

IF you suspect your trans is screwed up. The best thing would be to drain the trans fluid and inspect the old fluid for metallic bits. Feel it with your fingers for any grit. You could also send a sample out for analisis.

The best way to make sure your trans has the proper fluid level is to change it and keep filling the fill hole until fluid spills out of the fill hole. NOTE: your car must be on level ground too!
Appreciate 0