View Single Post
      05-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

For the prep of the bumper I had cleaned with dawn and used the alcohol. This always worked well in the past. On the CF piece I did a little Goo Gone to get rid of residue from original tape, then wiped with alcohol and scuffed very lightly with a little sandpaper. I used painters tape to expose only the part I'd be putting the tape on and did two very light sprays of the adhesive promoter with 2 minutes in between 'coats'. After the second coat I waited 4 minutes and then applied the 3M tape to the splitter. Same basic steps on the bumper...tape off area...spray lightly..2 min..spray lightly...4 minutes and apply. (suggestions by the auto paint supply store) The real test will be this weekend but my wife had it out yesterday in the 90 degree weather for 4 hours running errands and a 10 mile drive on the highway. Has not moved at all and is MUCH more solid than the other side (my comparison side with the larger taped sections. If Saturday goes well, I'll do the other side that evening. So far I'm very pleased. Seems like a hassle, but really not that bad (especially if you figure the extra time appears to mean it gets done ONCE and stays). Betalink would be just as much of a hassle, but would NOT be easily reversed if needed, and a screw up would be a much bigger deal. I'll report back after the 'high speed' and hot day test this weekend.
Appreciate 0