07-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Bingo.

328i/128i won't have turbo failure, HPFP failure, DI carbon buildup, and various other turbo problems.
Yes, the N54 did have HPFP failures, and the problem has been largely fixed.
Once the recall was issued, all replacements since then have held.
N55's, if they have the newest pump, also don't have HPFP failures.
So, this problem is one that plagued the N54, but no longer.
To say, "...and various other turbo problems.", is really an incorrect assessment.

As for turbo failure, they are as likely to fail as any other mechanical part in/on the engine. Fact is, BMW turbo failure is rare.

Carbon buildup occurs in any internal combustion engine, including normally aspirated engines. The increase in carbon buildup issues with many modern engines is due to direct injection where the fuel can't help clean some of it away. The 328i NA engine is a direct injection engine as well, thus it to has a greater chance for carbon buildup.

Other general failures in BMW's are part of any BMW, and are often ECU related, much like the OP's 135i dying on the highway.

I understand the OP's particular situation has caused him much grief. And in his desire to get something "more reliable" he chose the 328i.
Nothing wrong with a 328i, it's a sweet automobile, as has often been stated on this forum. His 328i has as much chance to be reliable as any 1 series at this point. The turbo waste gate issue was on early models, and has been fixed, as well as the HPFP problem. The major issues have been addressed.
Thus, which model 328i or 335i is more reliable is about even at this point.

The only significant issue at this point, is that as BMW's with turbo engines get older, there is an increased chance in a turbo going out, and that means that the long haul possibility of increased repair cost is higher for a turbo BMW. Yet, there are now higher mileage N54 BMW's out there, and no reported big rash of failed turbo's. So, no evidence that one would suffer
those "...other turbo related problems."
Just wanted to set the record correctly.
Appreciate 0