View Single Post
      10-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

it has a floaty dipstick, for the lack of a better term. Go and check yours.

good for the life of the engine? I did not see that section, in fact it recommends you add only BMW coolant (which is about 30 bucks). I did, because I got a warning a couple times, it was sporadic, until I started getting it every time (this was over a couple days, and the car was parked most of this time, and never overheated, in case you were about to flame!). Anyhow, it never triggered anything else, after I added some. It took about 2 litres? I did not check, just trusted the floaty dipstick.

Now, did I miss something and there shouldn't have been a reason for the engine to need coolant? I read somewhere in here that it slooowly evaporates away... don't they teach in school that there is no such thing as 100%, so to speak? as in, how can it not need coolant EVER? I can see it not needing complete flushes-out, but no tops-off?

Either way, I will have a word with service I guess and mention it to them... if they care or even give me a good answer... they probably won't... when I bought the coolant he said you need to mix it with water, and I said, distilled right, and he said, nah, tap water is fine (I used reverse osmosis from my reef aquarium). This was the parts sales guy though.
The car went for its 25k oil change right after though... not that they would've noticed anything, especially if their FOB reader was broken.
Appreciate 0