11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good to meet you as well Terry and I'm all home and safe now

...now onto my report

Following the very positive feedback / comments I've heard about DMS, I was very happy for them to custom map my car to give it a little bit more oomph.

Both Rob and Martin at DMS are real enthusiasts and I really love the work they do. Rob (the owner) spent ages with me talking about cars (not just BMW's, but Porsches, Maserati's, etc) and it's clear that he has a real passion for anything with petrol in it! It became clear very quickly that they are highly regarded as a number of tasty cars were there (two 997 Turbos, a GT3, etc) and whilst we were there, a very nice GT3 RS turned up

My little BMW therefore wasn't the best car there, but it was going to get a lot better The car was strapped to the dyno and they ran it three times to see what it was producing stock.

With the run complete, my car showed the following:

349.9 BHP
402 lb/ft torque (544nm)

Rob said that these figures were in line with the sorts of figures he'd been seeing, although he had seen a stock 1M up at nearly 370bhp!!

After that, my entire ECU was downloaded which took nearly 2 hours to complete. I'm not sure how other tuners do it, but DMS told me that they download the cars ECU, custom tweak the boost, fueling and other settings (sorry can't remember all of them) and then upload my ECU back again. This way, all of the codes associated with my ECU (apparently it contains my VIN number or something) does not get wiped as they are mapping my car with my ECU....just tweaked.

With the download taking nearly two hours my friend Dan and I took his Maserati Grand Turismo S into the local town for some lunch

But before lunch, Dan took me to the local Maserati and Ferrari dealership as he knew the guy there, so I got to have a good look around at all of their cars. They even took us to their new "studio" area where customers are invited to spec their cars. This area has brake discs, calipers (in all colours) and steering wheels on the walls and a selection of different seats underneath. The idea being that the customer can just have a look through and custom build his/her Ferrari (very nice!!).

It was rude not to take some photos, so I took a few snaps of a customer car waiting to leave the "studio"

...maybe one day eh!

After depressing myself that I couldn't have a 458, we left, went for some lunch and then blasted back to DMS in the Masser (what a sound!!).

When we arrived back at DMS, they were just finishing off the download of my new map, and preparing for the second second run.....

Results back and the car made.......

401.4 BHP
485 lb/ft torque (656nm)

Rob is going to email me the dyno plot and I'll upload it when it comes through if anyone is interested, but I'm over the moon with the results!

The map doesn't feel aftermarket at all. If anything, it's smoother than the stock map and feels very "factory" like. It's smooth through the rev range and now has some SERIOUS punch in gear!

Sufficed to say that the car really is quick now! The torque is just stupid, any gear, any rpm, it just FLIES!! I left it in 6th gear most of the journey home on the motorway as I just didn't need to change down to get past.....well anything. That includes the Jaguar XFR that I followed out onto the slip road of the M25. His face was a picture

I cannot praise DMS enough

Last edited by ChrisBuer; 11-26-2011 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0