View Single Post
      09-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

A little commentary from the day...

Started off around 7:45am in Edwards, Colorado. It was a very cold but beautiful morning. Blue skys no clouds as you can see, took I70 for a couple minutes to Minturn Colorado where highway 24 begins. Highway 24 is a national scenic byway also referred to as “Top of the Rockies”. I started at an elevation of 7,000 ft and climbed to 12,095 ft above sea level.

The entire morning my outside temperatures varied between 30 and 40 degrees. I drove the entire time with my windows down and heated seat on. My hands were pretty damn cold at one point but I loved the feeling of the cold air rushing into the cabin. Speeds ranged from as low as 10mph to as high as 100mph. Once on highway 24 there are zero traffic lights, it’s a true back road. Having a 6mt was a blast; I really got in touch with the car and was shifting mainly between 2/3/4th the entire drive. I really got to work on my driving skills.

Highway 24 comes to an end where highway 82 picks up. Highway 82 is commonly known as Independence pass and takes you into Aspen Colorado. Shortly after getting on highway 82 you see the beautiful twin lakes (pictured above). The climax of the drive is at the continental divide where after you decline through winding roads down to 8,000ft elevation.

Next stop was Maroon Bells, which is near Aspen Colorado. It might be one of the most photographed places in all of Colorado. It was really spectacular and warmed up to 70 degrees. After two hours of hiking and photography I went back into the town of Aspen and had lunch at Ute City Bar and Restaurant. A very hip place with modern/mountain decor. After a quick walk through the Aspen farmers market I continued back home with normal highways.

More info can be found here:

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2119/stories/47516

http://www.americansouthwest.net/col...pendence-pass/

Last edited by new2the3; 09-19-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0