09-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
if steve's right with the website then i'm definately thinking of someone else. the other was posted on the e90 main board iirc and they were based outs korea/china or somewhere like that.
Hey Pavo,

I believe you were thinking of a guy out of Taiwan and a performance workshop he was hooked up with.

They were hybrid twins IIRC and they were considerably more expensive than RB turbos, whilst lacking the upgraded internal billet wastegate assembly of the RB's.

The billet wastegate assembly that Rob has engineered, is a key element of the RB turbo upgrade and will ensure zero wastegate rattle throughout the life of the turbo.

Upgrading the wastegate actuator is not a permanent fix, as it's the internal bush assembly on the wastegate arm that flogs outs over time, not just the actuator.

That being said turbos with worn wastegate arms will still make power, as an example Clinton's old turbos put down close to 300 rwkW's on Pete's dyno, even though they sounded like absolute crap on idle and partial throttle.

I have had a good look at the Vargas Turbo & Diesel website and they very much look like the real deal, but power development of their hybrid twins is not the only consideration with respect to cost IMHO, longterm durability of the turbochargers should be taken into account too.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 09-04-2012 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0