Thread: 128i Inquiry
View Single Post
      04-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

I'm biased, obviously, but I love my 128i and I'm glad I chose it over the 135i that I was originally considering. Mainly, the 128i offers a huge price advantage over the 135i and you're getting 90% of the car. Last November, I paid less than $23k for my '08 CPO car with (at the time) 24,000 miles on it. Only options are sunroof, power/heated seats, and automatic transmission. Not a huge fan of the transmission, but it was something I sought out because of the huge traffic burden I face every day during my 70-mile commute. My car with the 6MT would be an absolute blast to drive and as it stands now, it's a phenomenal "commuter" car for me and I don't plan to give it up any time soon.

Service records on my car indicate that it had zero dealer visits for any defects prior to me taking ownership. The only problem it's had since was a defective driver's side tail light, which is a known problem among the E82/E88. So, that's literally one problem in 40,000 miles for my car.

I too didn't like the idea of not having an oil dipstick, but it hasn't been a problem. BMW isn't the only manufacturer going the dipstick-less route, either. According to the BC, my car has only burned about 1/2 quart in the 16,000 miles I've put on it in the past 6 months...certainly within normal specs and quite low as far as oil consumption is concerned.

As for insurance, my 128i insurance is actually about $18/year less than my previous car, a Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Go figure!
Appreciate 0